Ungar Furs Targeted by Animal Rights Group ...

JGalanos

The worst part of this is that it does tend to affect some customers. These people stand there all day, probably drawing unemployment checks, as they obviously don't have a job. They let the rest of us support them while doing that, and expect that we should listen to them. It is indeed too bad that no one finds who they are and goes and paints anti peta slogans on their house to show them what they do to the furriers.

It is frustrating indeed. Wish that there was more we could do to support him.

W

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Worker 11811

• furgirlxoxo

• White Fox

• JGalanos

Haven't been there for awhile.

Need to get some things cleaned and when finances are better (soon I hope) I have more for him to make for me.

OFF

• 1 month later...

You stay classy, Portland.

These kids literally have nothing better to do with their time, and the Portland police are complicit. Google "Ungar furs" and see the "every !@$%&ing Friday!" protest announcements proudly displayed on activist websites. I'm all for social activism...but this is, of course, ANTIsocial annoyance-ism. Portland seems to be a sort of hub for what's been called "lefty lunacy" by the polemical right. What's worse, with the increasing number of unemployed people, we're going to see more and more recent college graduates with a lot of time on their hands. Perfect protester recruits.

Heck, I'm a rather liberal guy, having worked for voter's rights organizations (not to mention the current POTUS' campaign) last year. But this is ludicrous. We know their tactics - they'll target Horst, even find his house, risk arrest or similar 'civil disobedience' all so they can be congratulated by their friends. I've stopped trying to figure out why they don't put that kind of energy into something like feeding the hungry, caring for the ailing or housing the displaced. But when i consider actually preventing these kids from protesting...most of the agent provocateurs or the folks who are really good at counter-protest...have better things to do elsewhere in the world.

Horst has got another supporter out east...all you locals let him know I'm sending positive vibes his way. I'm hope no one from Ungar's stoops to the level that Linda Schumacher let herself be filmed at last year...

J.

• 3 weeks later...

i have heard from Horst, that they have put their building up for sale. looks like it wont be too much longer until they close up shop. anyone else hear about this?

How Sad...but maybe to keep the fur business going in the Portland area, they should probably bulldoze out to the country where the protester kids will have to pack lunches and go elsewhere to pee. Unfortunately, that's one asset of American sprawl...the 'security' of isolation. Protesting in downtown Portland is doubtlessly more fun than going to the middle of nowhere to seek attention.

J.

I've even thought that a store in a mall might be better too. Other stores nearby complaining to management about protesters. Security staff watching for them. etc.

Mall is a good idea since it's private property and they can prevent protests in the Mall proper.

Econmoics of owning his own building though.

OFF

a mall sounds like a good idea, but i don't think portland malls are too fond of fur shops. with schumacher furs causing such a scene before their close, i don't think any mall wants anything to do with controversial fur shops and the protestors they will bring.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from Ungar this afternoon with my repaired Red now also White Fox spread.

Horst as usual did a magnigicent job of incorporating a Red Fox coat I had to replace the Cross Fox that so disastrously fell apart. He also added two White Fox borders. The White Fox is to die for Wish I had an entire spread of it. Maybe one day I will.

I taunted the two demonstrators on my way out. The kid (guy) wnated to tell me who awful I was for loving furs and wouldn't give me one word in reply so I shouted how I thought the Anti-fur thing was crap and walked away.

He then wanted to hear what I had so say but I was in no mode to actually discuss the issue. That's the last thing he wanted to do. The girl took my picture.

Next trip I'm going loaded for Bear with camera to take their pictures. I'll post them here.

The whole thing was rather pitiful actually.

OFF

You know, that is a really good idea to take their photos and after you take it to tell them you are going to post it "All over the net". Maybe even add "In order to find their names and addresses."

Ignore them for they are nothing more than a little smudges of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage.

Worker;

I know I too would normally ignore the little shi#s but I geally felt yesterday that THEY were the vulnerable ones. I know if I had decided to stay I could probably cut then a new one. Besides I owe it to Hrst, letting them know they really should be embarrassed to treat a very nice old guy like him with a lot more respect.

In fact that is what I think this country (the USA) suffers from mostly of late. Folks have little or no respect for others.

OFF

I think you're right, mostly.

The only problem is that you have to be careful you aren't giving them a venue to push their cause. An argument on the street is just as good to them as a spot on the nightly news. They aren't picky.

You just have to make sure you beat them, rhetorically. Namely, don't give them any room to push their "Boo-Hoo! Look at the cute, furry animals dying!" crap. That's the only argument they have and they'll harp on it till their dying day if you let them.

Truly, the best response is no response. But if that doesn't work, laughter and derision works. If that doesn't work go ahead and confront but, when the "animals dying" thing comes up (it will in the first 9 seconds ) simply stipulate the fact and say, "What else?"

Bottom line: Keep THEM on the defensive.

• 1 month later...

I've often thought that it would be interesting to set up a pro fur demonstration right beside them and film it with a hidden video camera. Then, when they destroy a $5,000 coat with paint, to go after them.

That could be seen as inciting a riot. That might get you into more trouble than them and the cost of the coat would be lost.

I think it's a little bit "weasely" but the restraining order is a good idea because it does not bring the issue of fur into the picture.

IF you bring up the word "fur" in any context, you open the door for them.

Remember! They are attention whores. ANY attention, good or bad is publicity for them. ANY publicity furthers their cause. ANYTHING that furthers their cause hurts us.

We need to marginalize them. Setting them up as unethical people who prey on the elderly is a good way to do that.

I think they are going to chant themselves blue in the face.

Horst could give a flying f*&k what they think or say so long as they do not violate the law.

Not going out of business and I think the protesters are not going to do well this time in cort either.

They bit off the wrong old fart

OFF