Ungar Furs Targeted by Animal Rights Group ...

JGalanos

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Worker 11811

• furgirlxoxo

• White Fox

• JGalanos

Shelley and I had to deal with some of these protestors during one of our visits to the furrier. I smiled and waved as I wore my Golden Island Fox coat when I went by them. I think that upset them as they couldn't get a confrontation going. These people have nothing better to do with their time I guess. From reading some posts they seem to be only in it cause it's a protest................

Should we as a group be sending these Furriers moral support at least

Is it an option to send them a note or would someone in that area pop in and say -'hey, we as a group support you 100%'.

Auzmink.

Should we as a group be sending these Furriers moral support at least

Is it an option to send them a note or would someone in that area pop in and say -'hey, we as a group support you 100%'.

Auzmink.

Auzmink, I think a note from the Den would, indeed, be apropos. I was thinking in terms of an email from me on behalf of the Den, but I tried to find an online presence for Ungar Furs, and couldn't. The next best thing, I guess, would be to write a letter, but since we're an online community, I thought an email would be better. Or . . . a visit from one or more of us, expressing our support. OFF, Shelley, Kevin - Are they aware of the Den's existence? Maybe the next time you're in there, you could say at least 1,600 people support them.

A sidebar here . . . Aren't there laws prohibiting "restraint of trade?" I would think that the Portland Police would be obliged to clear the sidewalk in front of the store if the a-wipes were making it difficult, if not impossible, for customers to get into the store. I would think that an injunction would be in order . . . Lacking that, one thing that was always popular when I was growing up was the counter-demonstration. Too bad we're not a Portland-based organization. I can visualize a line of us around the store, all with pro-fur signs, daring any anti-fur protester to come near.

Hey, we'v read the posts and have kept an eye on what's going on. As for an email.......they have an email account but I do not have the email address anymore.They don't have a website as they do work by word of mouth and reputation. The next time we are down there we will tell them they have the support of all here. We still have a coat and misc items plus a couple of blankets that need to be stored so in the next week or two we'll be down there.I might suggest that those that can send them a quick note by mail of your support. I do not have the address right next to as I type but you can find it online. If I do find it here I'll post it.

Kevin and Shelley

My email to Ungar Furs:

Greetings!

With a great deal of dismay, I read this article:

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2008/06/protesters_target_the_last_dow.html

I am founder of The Fur Den, the largest and most active website on the internet dedicated to the appreciation of fur (http://www.thefurden.com).

In fact, three "Denizens" (members of the Den) are regular customers of Ungar Furs. I just wanted you to know that these protesters are in the minority by far, and that all 1,321 members of The Fur Den are united in our support for you and the fur trade. While we defend and support the freedom of speech, we also believe it is unfair that these protesters are allowed misuse this freedom by demonstrating in such a way as to intimidate your customers or any prospective customers and thereby hurting your business.

If you have any ideas how The Fur Den may be able to help you, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Alan VanPelt, Founder

The Fur Den

--

"Fur is an emotional experience. It is pleasure in its purest form!" - Constantine Christie

Very nice email. I'm sure they will appreciate the support. Too bad everyone on this site can not be here so we could stage our own Pro Fur demonstration. I'm sure that would get some attention.

I've always been a "vote with your feet" kind of person.

I prefer to protest by example instead of by fighting. Unless it is done to preserve order or to protect life and property, fighting is usually pointless and ends you up worse off than you were when you started.

That doesn't mean I can't reserve the right to FINISH a fight if somebody else starts one! I WILL! And, if you start a fight with me, you'd better be prepared to go "All In" or else you will be the one getting hurt!

That having beens aid, I lend my support to Ungar's and anybody else who is being harassed by these terrorist idiots.

But the truth is that they are more "idot" than "terror".

Most of them are brainless puppets who believe the hype that organizations like P∂TA pump out and they're only in it for the "action" and not because they really understand anything. Most of the time they can only "parrot" what others have told them. They can't stand up to real logical scrutiny and will become unreasonable when backed into a corner.

In any case, it's best to let idiots be idiots. Picking a fight with the likes of them will not get you anything but tired.

The BEST thing to do is to KEEP WEARING FUR and walking tall when you do!

Don't be cowed by idiots! That is the key! Do what you want and don't listen to them!

Taking a self defense course and getting your concealed weapons permit might be a good thing to do, as well, but I'll leave that up to you.

Kevin;

Maybe some Saturday this fall we could hang around outside the door for awhile before and after we visit Horst

Ignore the demonstrators and just chat. I could get a couple of other friends who would love messing with their minds.

OFF

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am so glad I found this site! I heard about it from a friend and I wanted to share my experience going in Ungar Furs yesterday (Monday). I heard the protesters were protesting on Saturdays so I decided to go on Monday (I really do not want to interact or be bothered by them). But there was about 15 of the idiots outside Ungars on a Monday afternoon. I proudly wore my fur and was able to deal with the name calling and harrassment. But when I got home, I discovered that there was some nasty substance (glue, cum?) on the back of my coat that I can't get off. Does anyone know the best time to go to Ungars so I won't be harrased by these idiots? Also, is there any other stores in Portland that sell fur? I would totally be down with protesting these freaks. I think we should all proudly wear our furs too! Make sure you go with someone to Ungars so they can watch your back. Trust me, you do not want the nasty substance on your fur. Any advice?

Furgirl

First off, Welcome to the Den. Glad to have another new member here.

I wish I could help. However, we might have some folks here who can. Our member Mailon Furs for one. And possibly some members who live near there can help steer you in the correct direction.

W

Thanks White Fox! I hope others will reply I shouldn't have worn my fur in as I felt a little silly given the fact that it was hot outside, but when I drove by and saw the protesters I decided to wear it just to annoy them. But if I had not worn it in I wouldn't have a gross substance on the back of it

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, FG. I had the misfortune of stumbling upon a fur protest in Chicago two seasons ago and I was wearing fur at the time -- But both me and my jacket escaped unscathed. I was wearing my classic ranch mink bomber jacket and it did not draw any attention as I walked by. I'm embarrassed to say (given your furry march in the front door of Ungar!) that I was relieved I had not gone with my first instinct that morning and worn my silver fox coat. I would not have been inconspicuous in that coat!

Welcome to The Fur Den, furgirl! All of us hope that you have found a home here. As a fur lover, you are certainly among friends! It's a shame that your fur was harmed, and I hope that you will be able to get that that "mystery" substance cleaned off of it. I hope you'll always wear your furs proudly!

Include me as a customer with Horst and Ungar Furs. He has made several alterations and repairs for me in the last two years. I spoke with Horst just last week and he seemed truly dismayed at the protestors.. He said it was nothing physical, but it was taking its toll emotionally. How a small group of self serving narrow minded do-nothings can disrupt a legal viable business just for their own self interests burns me up. Perhaps we should use whatever clout we do have to write the Portland paper to present a strong informative case defending Horst and those like him. Adding our support to Horst personally is great, but it doesn't sway public opinion nor deter the protestors.

It is time to really get serious and use our muscle to inform the public that the fur industry is nothing like what is depicted in those sensationalistic depictions we constantly see in PETA ads.

Enough

Furgirl just had a thought. If you would like advice on your coat you might give a pm to our member ..... mailonfurs

Kostas is a furrier, and is involved with other very experienced furriers as well. So, he might be able to help. Also, I had a thought wondering if the folks at Unger might give you a good deal on having the coat repaired as it happened in front of their place.

If you need help to do that let me know. If you look in "user control panel" and click on "Private messages", and then compose message that will get you there.

W

• 2 weeks later...

I still have not been able to get this nasty substance off my coat, so I think I will call Ungar's soon and see what he can do. I have just been informed that Ungar Furs is not open on Saturdays anymore because of those stupid protesters. Does anyone know if this is true? I guess I can just call Horst, but I didn't want to intrude. I really wonder about doing a counter protest there. Why should they get to stand on the street as a mob, harrassing and intimidating Horst and fur wearers, and getting no real negativity back, because we are usually alone or with just one other person? The First Amendment isn't only for the hippie PETA freaks. This just really makes me mad. First they run the Schumachers out of town, and now they're going after Ungars. What's next? When are people going to stand up against those bullies? Would anyone seriously be up for protesting the protesters? I would!

Also, has anyone ever been harassed or had their fur damaged on purpose by these PETA freaks? Cause this isn't the only time this has happened to me....maybe I should start a forum about this? I would like to know how to defend myself against them in any given situation. The other incident was at a party. Does this only happen in Portland, OR?

I have only been to Ungar Furs on Saturday since it's a 2 hr. trip.

A few protesters have been there but none have ever come close to me or any of the other folks going there.

Your having been attacked is a new turn for them.

I may go down there soon though I've no specific plans to do so simply for such a confrontation if they choose.

OFF

Also, has anyone ever been harassed or had their fur damaged on purpose by these PETA freaks? Cause this isn't the only time this has happened to me....maybe I should start a forum about this? I would like to know how to defend myself against them in any given situation. The other incident was at a party. Does this only happen in Portland, OR?

I think you have been unlucky, FG. I have worn fur in 5 US states and 2 Canadian provinces and I have never been harassed.

I recommend you take your coat to a competent furrier in the near future and have them assess the damage.

furgirlxoxo;

Forgive me for sounding confrontational but you broke the cardinal rule: Don't pick a fight.

Yes, you have the right to wear fur if you want but you also have to think before you act.

You wore your fur into an area where you KNEW there would be trouble and you did it in such a way that made you a target for hostile action.

You wouldn't go walking into a bad section of town, late at night, waving a stack of $100 bills around. Would you? You would be ASKING for troulble!

Neither should you go walking across a protest line, wearing fur, on a hot day when most people wouldn't be wearing a jacket, much less an expensive fur coat. You are asking for trouble just the same!

It would have been much wiser to take the fur off, drape it over your arm and walk into the store, avoiding the protest line if possible. I don't consider this as kowtowing under pressure. I consider it protecting your $1,000+ investment. Had you carried your fur instead of wearing it you would still have it in one piece. As it is you might have made your coat into an expensive craft project.

First, take the fur to a furrier and see what they can tell you. Might I suggest Ungar's? He might know what the idiots were throwing and he may know a way to deal with it.

Second, ask your insurance agent if your homeowner's policy will cover it.

You can get a "rider" on your policy that will cover loss or damage to furs. Depending on the number of furs you own and their value, these riders don't cost much. If you already pay for homeowner's insurance, you should be able to get a $2,000 fur insured for $20 per year.

Even if you don't have a rider, STILL ask. If you have a good relationship with your agent and you make all your payments on time he MIGHT give you a mulligan and replace the coat. He will probably give you less than the replacement value of the coat because its value wasn't declared prior to the loss but it's better than nothing. Your agent will probably also require you to get your fur(s) appraised, submit that appraisal in writing to him AND he will probably require you to purchase a fur rider from here on out. He might even do this as a condition of covering your current loss.

Your insurance company is not obliged to pay for this loss. Your agent would be doing you a favor if he did cover it but I have seen it happen. My father lost some very valuable guns when I was a kid. His homeowner's insurance did cover it but they didn't cover it all because he didn't have the guns insured prior. It was better to lose $500 than to lose $1,000. I also remember the agent telling my father that he wouldn't allow any more claims on guns unless they were insured.

My father was good friends with his insurance agent. He had his house and his business insured with the same company for several years and he never missed a payment so the standard disclaimer applies... "Your Mileage May Vary!"

Regardless of the insurance outcome, I hope you can take a lesson from this.

Yes, you have the right to wear fur any time you want to but that doesn't mean it's smart to wear fur all the time.

I did let my emotions get the best of me. Thanks for the advice. I would still like to know if Portland is the only place where people are harrassed for wearing fur. Did anyone go to Shumacher Furs during the protests? The stupid PETA freaks followed me to my car one day while yelling in my face, took pictures of me, my license plate and my car. I pretended like it didn't bother me. The reason I joined this site was to get a little encouragement and to be around like minded folks. My best friend no longer wears her rabbit coat in public anymore due to being harrassed. I just hate feeling like I can't do what I want without being terrorized by a bunch of hooligans! I agree that it's not good to pick a fight, but when you have had people intimidate and harrass you and your friends, it's hard not to be mad! Sorry, I had to vent