how possum fur feels

Guest manywonderfulfurs

Hello.

My possum fur pillow from Alaska finally arrived! I felt it, and though the fur was soft, the hairs were a bit brittle. I think this could be due to the hollow nature of the fibers.

Vince

I don't know what you bought, Vince, but I have a trenchcoat that is fully lined with New Zealand Opossum, with a huge shawl collar. It is super soft. Nothing brittle about it! I love to pull that collar up around my face on a cold winter day! (Actually, it doesn't really have to be a cold winter day . . . )

Hi Vince - just over a year ago, I bought a New Zealand Possum fur pillow, and a fur hot water bottle cover (okok, dont laugh it feels great. Put it in the bed 20 mins before going to bed, and when you get in on a cold night, it's just pure bliss. besides, it can also double up as an overlarge massage mitt).

Anyway, where was i? - I'm pretty sure that New Zealand possum fur is very different from American possum. My pillow is the silver variety, and the hot water bottle cover is the brown variety. Of the two, it seems that the silver is softer than the brown, but they are both very soft, and after a year, they show no sign of wear. The fur has no nap, so you can stroke it in any direction which makes it even better. The hot water bottle cover has had plenty of stroking and use (ok guys, cut it out, I'm talking about feet here, of course), and it is still as good as new.

I've been so impressed with this very dense, soft fur that I'm saving for a queen size bed throw, in the NZ silver possum, - should have it by next winter. If you type "New zealand possum fur" into google it will come up with several NZ retail outlets. The one I used was ultra efficient. The items were dispatched on the day of order, and arrived very quickly by airmail. I'm one very satisfied customer. Hope this helps

I have several opossum coats and jackets in my shop. They are very soft. Feels similar to cashmere.

Not certain why yours would feels so course.

I highly recommend the fur. Especially for linings. Makes adorable bolero jackets, too.

Linda

I bought a fox fur from an Alaskan fur company and it was a little course too. Don't know if it is the same company or not, but it might be the way they preserve them.

The New Zealand Opossum sure sounds nice!

Posted somewhere else about my Opossum house coat .. well it is a really big coat I commandeered for the house.

It's served very well and is super warm for those cold and damp evenings.

It has gotten somewhat wooly with time but that is with a great deal of constant wear. Needs to be cleaned soon. This summer.

OFF