Furrier in Glasgow

MaxFur

Has anyone been to or know anything about Harold Altman furriers in Glasgow on Robertson Street?

I'm in the city on business next week and was wondering whether to try for a visit..

Great new site by the way!

I have a friend who passes the place on his way to and from work every day. He says its ok, but he only looked when I asked him about the place.

I was considering a trip up there to see if i could get some fox pelts to trim a jacket with. Like you, I wanted info before I made the trip, if I hear anything I'll let you know.

Tryxie

Where are you guys from?

I bought my wife a fur from City Fur House, Hyndland Street (Or Road) in Glagow.

They did not have furs on display but when I said I was after a mink for my wife, they produced some fine mink coats.

Maybe worth checking out. They were really helpful and friendly.

Disco

A lot of furriers that are left do have their furs out back now.

There was still a nice furrier in esher, I think they are still there, and had a lot more out back than in front but are always a little suspicious to start with. I bought a hat from them a few years ago. Very nice shop.

Welcome Trixie Trash by the way; I notice you are a fashion designer....is the coat you are trimming for yourself or one of your creations?

I notice in the last four or five years a lot of fashion students warming to the use of fur and there was even one Norwegian girl who was using seal.

She had a fair amount of stick, but the local press where quite supportive.

I assume you went to Art/fashion college....what was the view there, and in the fashion industry now in general? What is the reaction of your friends?

Looking on the map, it looks as if Hyndland Road is too far to travel on foot.

I will try to visit the Harold Altman tomorrow either over lunch or my way back to the hotel (I pass the end of the road). Hopefully it's nice enough to have my gitlfriend come along next time I'm here and try on a few things!

I have a blue fox at home that needs a new lining anyway, so it would be goos to get an idea of cost for this.

Where are you guys from?

Disco

I'm from Leicester, where fur wise there is nothing. Up in Glasgow on business from time to time and the novelty of having a furrier that I can visit is interesting.

I remember buying a fur stole from a furrier in Glasgow many years ago. I think the name was Cohen; it was something Jewish. I remember that because i was shocked to hear his broad Scots accent.

I'm in Lincoln, the middle of nowhere, doing a fashion degree.

Any news on furriers is good news. There used to be one advetised in the phone book in southern Leeds, but it seems to have gone now.

I was looking to trim a denim jacket of mine with fox, Altmans appear to sell skins as well as full coats, that's whyI was interested. But I wouldn't mind designing fur garments its just the cost of making them that's prohibitive and my lack of knowledge in working with fur. My jacket was going to be an experiment.

The tutors at uni seem to be pro fur, the students the same, but they're niaive enough just to follow the crowd, I don't suppose any of them have come into conatct with fur yet.

I am sure that Miss Theresa can be a great help to you Trixie as she has sourced some fabulous trims and stoles in all sorts of colours. You can often buy native pelts direct from ebay very reasonably priced.

Its good news that the feel you get is positive. What do you like about fur?Do you wear it yourself?

Several of us in the UK know seamstresses who are skilled at sewing fur.

I know one from estonia who is a lovely lady and may be able to teach you for a small fee as I know she is doing a lot of part time jobs so needs the money; she may also be able to help you get a collection together if you are not experienced in working with fur but have ideas for garments.

Hi TrixieTrash

Welcome as I haven't noticed you before! I must say I like the cute bob haircute in your avatar!

I do find a decent amount of colored pelts from a supplier in NY who sells on ebay. If you are interested, pm me and I can direct you to them. They are most reasonable, considering the rising cost of pelts, and are a pleasure to deal with. I also like the people at Glacier Wear for pelts.

Good luck on the fashion degree! One day, years back I wanted to be in fahion design, too. Never finished high school though, so that idea was scrapped. I leave the sewing to my sisters if I have an idea for a garment, as I'm no good with patterns anyhow! Don't want to give away too much, but they are working on a 1860's dress for me right now... can't wait!

Well, I didn't manage to visit the furriers today, I called asking if I could pop in to discuss the repairs that I would like doing to my blue fox jacket, but was told that they really wanted to see the coat first.

Ah well, I'm up here again in a month or so's time, so I just guess I'll have to bring the coat with me - should be enough to have a good look round next time!

hey Tryxie!

Might have the wrong person? but How did your paper go on "Fur in Fashion" - did you get a positive response from your course on your pro stance?

Furelli

Tryxie...

Possibly members on the "Experts" forum might be able to discuss this. Give your ideas on where to go about finding the info you need to design using fur or such. You could give one of the mods a quick PM and see if it might be something they would have knowlege on. I believe Lynxette might still be sick, but any of the other three would be gald to receive a pm on it I am sure. And if Lynxette is well enought now she would have knowlege in that area as well I am sure. We also have a number of other furriers who would have ideas on such.

W

Tryxie - I don't know how you are re mobility, but St Martin's (art and fashion school) in London is (as far as I can recall) somewhat more fur savvy than the rest in that fur desert otherwise known as Great Britain.

That said, it seems like major progress when your tutors are not overtly anti-fur. I wonder how long it will be before the 'fur critical mass' is reached again, after the damage caused by the AR idiots, in Old Blighty?

Not long...its gathering momentum and its essential that all the good PR work and "openness" of the fur industry is not now ruined by cheap imports of "nasty" fur from china.

You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but PETA are through fooling anyone apart from half wits. Now we just have to be braver in taking it back in public and others will join us.

Tryxie - I don't know how you are re mobility, but St Martin's (art and fashion school) in London is (as far as I can recall) somewhat more fur savvy than the rest in that fur desert otherwise known as Great Britain.

That said, it seems like major progress when your tutors are not overtly anti-fur. I wonder how long it will be before the 'fur critical mass' is reached again, after the damage caused by the AR idiots, in Old Blighty?

Hi Raptinfurs

Yeah, I'm looking into trying to get onto one of their summer school programmes, but it wont be for fur. You can't make a garment untill you you can make a good pattern for it, so that's what I'm going for. A more intense pattern making and sewing course than I'm getting at my Uni.

Tryxie