F - Mink [not sure which]

G - White Mink

H - Dyed Mink

I - Pieced or Knit Fox

J - White mink

K - Fox

L - Fox

OFF

I have no idea what ANY of them are. But here is what I do know. She is a lucky, lucky, lucky girl!!!! Gorgeous and in fur....I'm freakin' jealous!!!!

To add another 2 cents here...

"A" is definitely rex rabbit

"E" is chinchilla (In fact, this is the coat that she was supposedly given by to her by Ben Affleck.)

"F" is actually dyed chinchilla. I have seen this color done by Fendi.

There is no doubt that she is a truely beautiful and sexy lady.

sf fur

Is it possible A could be sheared beaver that is dyed?

It certainly is not chinchilla, but I don't think it looks like Rex either.

"E" is certainly chinchilla, dyed. I'd bet my life on that.

"A" doesn't have the regular plushness that chinchilla has. It look to be a short-haired fur.

b is without a doubt mink tails

f is definitely dyed chinchilla

i is in my opinion knit golden sable

k is coyote

e is definitely chinchilla

i would say that "a" is orylag, which is a fur i saw for the first time 7 years ago in switzerland. i was floored to see anew fur that i had never even heard of before. it is a mutation of rex rabbit and chinchilla and is just the right price level for miss j. lo

http://www.orylag.com/version_anglaise/03_textures/naturel.php

The problem is that we do not have a close enough picture of either coat to know for sure. And, we would need to see the back of it to see the patern of the pelts and so on to know if it is chinchilla.

I tend to agree somewhat with Linda but I am just wondering if either or both A and E might be something a little more unusual. Could one or both be sheared fox for instance. It does look quite a bit like sheared fox. Sheared fox is very unusual which would fit her personality. For instance, A could be sheared fox and white rabbit, or white sheared fox.

Mr Lynx... In short we can give you ideas. However, this one is probably one where we can give you ideas but we will not likely be able to come up with a 100% answer for you. We would need to actually see the fur, and have time to look at it.

W

a and e are not sheared fox, because i have held a chicnhilla stole in my hand that was the exact same color as e. and a just doesn't have the right texture to be sheared fox. i think shearing fox is the worst thing you could do to a fox. it is criminal just like shearing sable (who ever thought that one up?).

i would say that "a" is orylag, which is a fur i saw for the first time 7 years ago in switzerland. i was floored to see anew fur that i had never even heard of before. it is a mutation of rex rabbit and chinchilla and is just the right price level for miss j. lo

http://www.orylag.com/version_anglaise/03_textures/naturel.php

I thought that orylag was knitted rex made to look like chinchilla.

It actually is a new breed?

Learn something everyday! Love the link. Thanks so much!

Linda

Linda,

Orylag is the trade name used in much of Europe for Rex Rabbit. The quality that I have seen of European rex rabbit (orylag) has genrally been bette than the average we see her in the U.S.

I think part of the reason is that orylag is often treated as a very fashionable fur by designers in Europe. Additionally, much of the rex rabbit that we see in the U.S. came from China.

sf fur

sf fur,

I had thought that as well.

But, check out the link. It shows on the site that the fur is a cross breed with Rex Rabbit and Chinchilla.

I have only seen the fur used in knit form.

Linda

Linda,

This much I know about genetics...

You can't cross breed a rabbit and a chinchilla.

I am quite certain that orylag is just a controlled marking brand in France rex rabbit.

sf fur

Did you go to the site and read their write up?

I wonder if it is genetically modified?

I must admit I can be extremely gullible.

Furcoatman. Can you clarify?

Linda

Linda,

This much I know about genetics...

You can't cross breed a rabbit and a chinchilla.

I am quite certain that orylag is just a controlled marking brand in France rex rabbit.

sf fur

sf fur is absolutely right here. Very controlled. Think controlled as in Russian sable. That means they're not about to start selling breeding pairs any time soon. I've not heard of rex rabbit coming from China, but if it does, it'll be from an entirely different genetic line. There may be some confusion here since pretty much all knitted rex production comes from China, almost certainly from skins imported from France. The other thing is these skins are comparatively good value as these rabbits are dual purpose - they are bred for the table too.

This mutation of rabbit has been developed over decades to look and feel like chinchilla (but if you know chinchilla, it still doesn't!) That said, it is a whole lot softer than any other fur apart from chinchilla, sable and lynx. More importantly, it is a whole lot more durable than chinchilla. It still has to be dyed to get the chinchilla look. The plusher skins are used in non-knitted garments, which can be very pleasant to the touch and to wear

raptinfurs,

I agree with you completely about the fur.

But, my question has to do with the validity of the site that furcoatman gave us the link to. Did you go there?

Linda

raptinfurs,

I agree with you completely about the fur.

But, my question has to do with the validity of the site that furcoatman gave us the link to. Did you go there?

Linda

If we're talking about this URL:

http://www.orylag.com/version_anglaise/index.php

... this is the site of the rex rabbit or orylag (horrible name - sounds like some kind of wall paint) producers cooperative. Which part of it are you referring to?

that is what the furrier in switzerland told me (always boggled my mind too!). i am no genetics expert either and being from the usa i have had no reference to it after i saw it in 2000. it probably is rex rabbit, but i get the impression it is a mutation/improvement on the normal rex rabbit. someone should email them and ask them what's up.

Edited by Guest