Fur Storage Question

teacherspet

My wife has several, newer long-haired furs, a crystal fox, a beaver, and a raccoon, that are currently kept at home with some moutons. We are used to the moutons being virtually indestructable, but understand that the newer furs need special care and feeding each season. There are no furriers in the area, and storage options are limited. Is there a safe method for keeping these new ones at home to ensure their longetivity? I understand that they will have to have periodic maintenance, but is it safe to keep them at home, if you take precautions?

Were would you store them in your house?what part of the us do yuo live in? It is best to keep them in a controled storage room and cleaned and glazed very year (by a furrier not a dry cleaner)

MB

This is a very good question for Lynxette's Forum.

I will PM her with this link.

Linda

Edited by Guest

Teacherspet, we will make a go of this question in Les Experts forum just as soon as we can in an expanded form. As a short immediate answer, the advice given by maribeth is right on the mark.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep my eye on the forums. Right now, they're in a second floor, spare bedroom closet, newer home, away from light and heat, pretty constant temp. Problem is, we live in the Midwest, where humidity, etc. change daily. We'll plan on annual cleaning/glazing. Thanks again.

We had a 1930s mink through our hands recently and it was immaculate. Never been in storage. However the house it had come from was an old famhouse with NO central heating. Thats what dries furs out.

We havent any central heating either and keep my girlfs furs in a spare bedroom with the curtains permanently closed so its even cool in summer. So far everything is okay;

no drying out at all. However a friends fur which was brand new four years ago is already drying out....she dried it after it was wet near a radiator!